Saturday, April 04, 2009

When trolls attack

By Capt. Fogg

"How's the hope and change thing working out for you, moron?" reads the comment. If you're a blogger outside the red tribe, you're used to this sort of thing. You're used to the cut and paste pop culture snark bombs: how's the _____ working out, I don't think so, Hello, etc. Of course, trying to rule while wearing only the hollow crown of cynicism only exposes the nakedness and weakness of someone who has to rely on mimicking sitcom characters to simulate insight or wit; and of course the smartest people around are called morons more often than the rest of us; far more often than actual morons are. It's a fact.

Of course, if you look back at every post I've made in the last few years, you'll not find a single "hope and change"slogan. In fact if you have the patience and stomach to read all or part of it, you'll note that I'm most consistently a doom and gloom nihilist with no hope for or expectation of change, unless it be decay. Still, I'm sure the armchair assassin thinks he really scored and perhaps he's getting his 5$ per post bonus from the GOP to boot. There's nothing to be done really and as I said, I'm a nihilist and a pessimist; I expect no better from my fellow apes.

If I did, I would have to feel insulted by the assumption that I was stupid enough to think a new president -- any new president -- could reverse the damage of decades in two months: two months of sabotage and opposition by people who ran the ship aground and pay sticky-fingered troglodytes to ask how the hope and change is going for us. Need we ask how the election went for them? or how the supply side, zero regulation market thing is going? Those tax breaks for Wall Street tycoons making you rich? Hello! I don't think so!

(Cross-posted from Human Voices.)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

  • Is there a better system in mind other than free market?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:16 PM  

  • Were we talking about that?

    I'm not sure free markets are actually a system but no, free markets work when we have just enough regulation to keep them free and just enough oversight to keep people from stealing and running scams and frauds. Freedom isn't free - it needs to be protected.

    I'm sure you not one of those who insist that there be laws, courts and cops to protect your property, but nothing like that when it comes to protecting the stocks and bonds you invest in or the banks you keep your money in.

    Anarchy is not freedom, it's a free-for-all.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 5:17 PM  

  • Great post Fogg. You capture their essence so well.

    By Blogger Libby Spencer, at 5:35 PM  

  • You were not talking about it directly, but you post raised the question in my mind.

    It is a system in the raw sense of the word, for certain. I am not implying that any system does not need rules and laws and policing. We have regulation. It has been in existence for the better part of the twentieth century and into the 21st of course. Certain bodies were not regulated, Fannie and Freddie, government run agencies, as the glaring examples. Banks were forced to give loans based on their backing, and now are being blamed for supplying?

    Anarchy and free market, don't draw the connection. Capitalism is brutal yes, and I think that it does need its checks, but is there a better system?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:42 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:11 AM  

  • A better economic system than Capitalism? Not that I've noticed, unless the word "better" is twisted into a pretzel.

    I don't mean to sound cagey, it's just that some people confuse free with lawless. Of course the degree and type of regulation are open to debate - and I think that debate needs to be continuous.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home